Saturday, February 23, 2008

Our wonderful helpers from Helpx moved on this week! Tom and Bec a lovely young couple from Melborne Oz who were travelling around the world came to help us for 3 weeks. In that time we have taken down and cut up most of 2 large trees, cleared an area of about a third of and acre which was full of brambles to plant a cider orchard, laid some hedges, collected a lot of free stock fencing (second hand) and sturdy fence posts from the National Trust who have removed several miles of it up along the A39 from Porlock to Lynmouth, and we now have a nice sturdy fence dividing up our home paddock with another under construction!.........pictures will follow soon! This was very lucky and saved us a fortune but as my eldest son is working for the NT in North Devon we knew about it going free! My son, George, is having a great time working for the NT.....its good to be able to enjoy your job!
I am also in the process of constructing a willow fence/hedge called a 'fedge'! I pic of that will follow too when its finished. I collected my apple trees yesterday and must put them in during the next few days, they are old west country varieties such as Payhembury, Browns, Duffin, Black Dabinett and Somerset Redstreak........wonderful names!
I have also come across this wonderful thing.....a greenhouse made of plastic bottles.....I am determined to make one and will need to find 550 plastic lemonade type bottles!!!
I have a couple of Ouessant ewes that look due to lamb any time now and we are soon taking delivery of an in pig Kune Kune sow to add to the sausage empire!
Other exciting good news is I have secured the funding for the felting machinery (hooray!!) Now waiting to see if funding has been secured for installation and rent.......will update as soon as I know!

2 comments:

Dancingfarmer said...

Very neat greenhouse---where did you find the information on it? I would like to see (or read) exactly how you do this "thing".
Oh yes--congrats on your funding :-)
Monica

Val Grainger said...

Hi Monica the info is here
http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

They have a book of designs that can be bought....meanwhile I have to collect 550 bottles!!!