Saturday, April 07, 2007

4 ewes left to lamb in the first batch, we have had some very pretty Shetland lambs born in the last week, I will try and post some photos of them tomorrow. The Blackdown Hills Fibre group are holding a 2 week exhibition and sale at Littlefields studios in Bishopswood, a little village a few miles away. My Shetland sheep and lambs are providing the live entertainment in the field next to the studio! If you are in the area do come and see the lovely wool, socks, scarves, skins etc
I have a propagator full of sprouting seeds including some Rhubarb of a variety I have not heard of before!I have not grown rhubarb from seed before so should be interesting! peas and tomatoes are well up as are the chilli peppers and lots of herbs. Pink fir apple potatoes are chitting on the windowsill and I have asparagus and onions going in tomorrow so busy busy!
I have had a very poorly lamb who was born on Tuesday morning. His mother went down with mastitis and he was very weak. Happily with mum receiving antibiotics and the little lad having had several feeds by stomach tube he is now suckling both his mum and a top up bottle and I think he will make it!
I sold 2 shetlands that were too wild to handle easily in the cull ewes section of the market last week. They go straight for slaughter and to be honest it was the best option as it was unfair to pass the problem on to another unsuspecting owner. They were impossible to catch without stress to both sheep and human and would have made the grand national runners look slow!
New pigs (Berkshires) are arriving next Sunday and in readyness the pig area is being sorted out, which has meant putting back up the mains electric fencing we use to keep them in, it will be nice to have them for the summer as we have not had pigs for a year.
Must go and get some sleep now as I have another ewe who looks like lambing in the next few hours

No comments: